loutent

I have used that Delta planer for about 10 years. It does produce
snipe at the end of each pass, but you can minimize it if
you are careful.

I would not buy the same planer again, but if I had a budget
of $150 needed something, you can't go too far wrong.

Why not invest in a metal detector along with the Delta?
This would save your blades.

Also, the planer will make quick work of the boards - much
faster (and cheaper than using a lot of sandpaper).

Lou

In article .com,
tillius wrote:

Lowes has the Delta 12" portable planer on sale for $179 + an
additional 20% off which brings the price to $143.20. SWMBO said I
could get one if I want, or I can spend the money on something else
(biscuit joiner).

I'm now trying to decide between the 12" portable planer and a shop
build thickness sander.

I don't need to resize wood, but what I need to do is resurface resawn
barn boards.

I was thinking the sander because of the risk of unfound metal in the
boards ruining planer blades. If I can only shave off 1/32 at the time
with the thickness sander, I should be able to catch any nails before
they damage the drum.

Anyway, opinions are solicited. But I must decide before Monday, since
the 20% off sale ends monday and I've either got to get the planer or
the biscuit joiner then.