Gunner

On 18 Dec 2004 20:37:50 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

Thanks for the information, I'll have to do some research on this one. I
added another photo showing the bottom, it is hollow and about 1/2" deep:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. with that deep a cavity, the behavior should be quite
similar to a Minnie ball, though the exterior shape is somewhat unusual
for one. But I have not seen many (either original or replicas), so it
could be common in some areas or calibers.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I finally got around to looking at the photo.

Thats a Heath/ Keith style Semiwad cutter, and is likely to have come
from a Henseley and Gibbs mould with a second choice being Ideal.

What is the diameter of the second band? If its .429-.433, its likely
for the 44 Special and if its .452-.455, its for the .45 ACP, both
rounds to be fired typically from a target revolver. Hollow base
bullets were very common in the 30s-70s for Bullseye shooters who were
shooting light to medium loads at paper targets.
The most common such today are 38 Special hollow base bullets, which
typically have a totally blunt nose with no ogive.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas