Darrell Dorsey

I'm not sure which way you should go, i.e. planer vs. sander. But if you
decide to go planer, then I'd skip the Delta TP300 (old 22-540 I believe).
It doesn't have a lock mechanism. So you more apt to get a little snipe.
You'd like the DeWalt 734 much better. Or even the Delta 22-560, which they
don't sell I believe. Both these have blade lock and the DeWalt Machine has
a 4 column carriage lock and is a three knife cutter head. Although is
almost considerably higher price. With the 20% off, it wont be too bad.

Darrell

"tillius" wrote in message
oups.com...
Lowes has the Delta 12" portable planer on sale for $179 + an
additional 20% off which brings the price to $143.20. SWMBO said I
could get one if I want, or I can spend the money on something else
(biscuit joiner).

I'm now trying to decide between the 12" portable planer and a shop
build thickness sander.

I don't need to resize wood, but what I need to do is resurface resawn
barn boards.

I was thinking the sander because of the risk of unfound metal in the
boards ruining planer blades. If I can only shave off 1/32 at the time
with the thickness sander, I should be able to catch any nails before
they damage the drum.

Anyway, opinions are solicited. But I must decide before Monday, since
the 20% off sale ends monday and I've either got to get the planer or
the biscuit joiner then.