Ken Moon

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 07:03:41 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

The ones in a normal set. Parting tool, roughing gouge, spindle gouge,
skew
and scraper. Add a bowl gouge if you're going to reach and give leverage.

As often discussed, carbon steel sets are available at reasonable prices
and
finishes, HSS only modestly higher. The one thing you may have to do with
inexpensive sets is take the sharp edges left on the shafts by grinding.

Thanks, George.

===============================
Barry,
I'll probably open a can of worms here, but I'd recommend that you get a set
of the "el cheapo" carbon steel tools from Harbor Freight for around $12.00
USD. They're not very good, and won't last long, but they will make you
learn to sharpen properly, because they don't hold their edge well. In order
to turn, you'll need to go back to the grinding wheel every few minutes to
touch up the edge. You'll grind off a lot of steel before you get the hang
of sharpening properly. When you feel that you have the sharpening thing
down, go back to Harbor Freight for their High Speed Steel set at around
$40.00 USD. That is a serviceable set that should last you a long while.
You'll also need a bowl gouge (not included in the set), if you intend to
much bowl work, and a few home made, or speciality tools as the need arises.
This way you won't waste most of a set of HSS tools learning to sharpen.
Others disagree, but that's my opinion, FWIW.

Ken Moon
Webberrville, TX