Bill Rubenstein

I sort of agree. The problem, though, is that as we get better at turning we want to remove
more material faster. And with bigger diameter pieces there is a lot more material to be
removed. Underpowered lathes become more frustrating as time goes on. So do we want to buy
one motor or several motors? If you only do spindle turning -- even big spindles -- you
don't need all that much power. Bowls are a different matter, though, I think.

Bill

In article ch3xd.217079$V41.10198@attbi_s52, says...
IMHO, motorsize is almost irrelevant, as long as it is 1/2 hp or more.

Bjarte

There is a certain logic to what Bjarte says. It's not like this is a metal
lathe where the tools, tool feed and chips get larger as the lathe gets
larger, resulting in a larger requirement for Hp. As wood lathes get larger
the gouges, feed and chips don't increase all that much. The power required
to remove chips using a 1.5" gouge on a 8" bowl is about the same as the
same gouge removing chips on a 24" bowl. What needs to change is the pulley
ratio so the tangential speed stays about the same. Since the pounds of
wood removed per hour stay about the same, then the Hp stays about the same,
too. Dan