J. Clarke

Leon wrote:

"Dan White" wrote in message
I'm looking into Lowes' 20% off sale and want a new drill. The one I
have
is a rather weak cordless with the small battery (12v?). I've also lost
the
charger, but that's another story. Anyway I want to be able to drill
in/out
3" screws into studs, and drill into concrete with a masonry bit. I
found
that the 12v drill didn't have the torque to do it. I borrowed a cheap
corded drill the other day and it drove those screws like nothing.

What do you guys recommend? If the price is in the $200's US or lower I
don't care about the money. It looks like the most expensive one is a
Dewalt 18v. Is this going to match up favorably with a corded drill of
the
same quality? Will the battery last a long time? I won't be using the
drill often but I wan't one that can do everything a decent corded drill
can
do without the cord hassle.

Lets see, 110 volt over 12 volt... Humm I wonder which is stronger... 110
volt over 24 volt... Still the 110 volt wins by a land slide. If you
need
power get corded. IMHO larger voltage drills used near an electrical
source
make no since. 110 volts stomps battery operated drills. I have had 8
battery operated drills but all so far all have been 12 volt and less.
Those drills and my corded do everything I want a hand drill to do. The
advantage to cordless are not having a cord to deal with and they get you
out of a bind when there is no electricity to plug in to. The big voltage
cordless drills are way too heavy for my liking.

I'd put my 18v DeWalt against my Dad's 15 buck corded McGraw-Edison any day.

It's not the volts that count, it's what you do with them.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)