PDQ

The Golden Ratio (1 plus root 5 / 2 =3D PI) is, for the sake of =
argument, 1.618.
It is the relationship of:=20
1. the side of a rectangle to the width
2. the height of the Great Pyramid of Giza to 1/2 its base
3. the first 5 planets in the Solar System to one another (almost)
4. the height of the columns in the Parthenon to the width of the =
edifice
5. the height of the Parthenon roof to the width of the edifice
6. the height of a Pompadour Highboy to the height of the base
7. our eyes divide our head ant the Golden Ratio
8. our navel divides our body at the Golden Ratio

There are a lot of others, but these should suffice for a start.

Think of your gate as a rectangle. The walkway is the width and the =
passageway the height. If these are not in agreement the overall look =
will be, somehow, amiss.
We are genetically (?) predisposed to observe things in this manner.

The same is true for your lattice

--=20

PDQ
--
=20
"Gino" wrote in message =
|=20
| I would love to see a discussion of this.
| When designing things like garden gates and arbors, even fence panels =
and window
| placement I often create stuff that doesn't look quite right, other =
times it
| looks great.
|=20
| I understand to concept sorta, of the golden rectangle but what about =
other
| shapes like rounded top gates, ovals, etc.
|=20
| Examples.
| I make one gate it looks great another looks a little off, but I =
really can't
| see why.
| I make a lattice frame arbor and it looks terrific, change the size =
and shape of
| the 'holes' or the boards and it looks awkward, clunky.
|=20