willshak

On 12/18/2004 2:10 PM US(ET), Cooper took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote

I think you're now tilting at windmills, too, Coop...looking to see the
alternatives is what you've been promoting. So when he did and didn't
like what he saw, that's fair.

I agree that for cost-saving many shortcuts have been made by all
manufacturers--some of these are for energy conservation, some for ease
of cleaning/use for the modern home, some simply for the convenience
of the installer, others simply to cut cost.

Can't argue that if one is planning on restoring a classic, one had best
have deep pockets. But, there's nothing new about that, and there's
nothing wrong about expressing one's opinion that these newer features
are not one's "cup of tea"...

And I absolutely agree. IMHO vinyl doesn't belong on a restoration project
like a century home. My understanding is a home can not be listed as
historic with modern building materials such as vinyl. But, now we're
talking a whole different ballgame than what this thread started out as.

The last project I actually did physical work on, was a project out of
State. Down in WV. It was a $25m home with 30k sq. ft. Husband & wife
were the only ones that lived in the house, but talk about deep pockets!

Up here in the NE, there are many old villages that are over 250 years
old. The local fathers have set aside certain portions of the town as
"Historic Zones". You cannot do anything to the old houses in these
zones without approval. No vinyl siding, vinyl windows, etc. Even the
exterior paint colors are regulated (one homeowner rebelled and painted
his historic victorian various shades of purple. I thought it looked
kinda nice, sorta like it belonged in Disneyland. He relented after a
while). No modern amenities can be visible on the outside, including
A/C, antennas, etc. Even christmas lights must be a single white candle
type in each window. Any new construction within the zone must be in a
style appropriate for the historic period, an that included a new Post
Office built within the zone.