Saeed

Default Rats in attic insulation...

In message , Mark
writes

"Chris Howard" wrote in message

It sounds to me like you need the services of a professional pest
control man (or woman). - not very DIY I know.

Its beginning to look that way...
Thanks for the link, btw.

By the way, you do want to get rid of them - for some reason they love
to chew mains wiring.

So I've heard. I was thinking of getting up into the small roofspace this
saturday with a long cable, the other end would be connected to a 13A plug
socket downstairs. By poking the cable in through the insulation into their
home, I may be able to electrocute a few. I'll just need to be careful not
to touch the live part of the cable myself... Surely this would kill them?

Not that I'm an expert, but would poking a live wire into insulation
constitute a fire risk?

In addition, an old electrician told me that rats and mice have to be
really unlucky to get electrocuted by chewing cables as they usually
have just enough dust under there feet to give good insulation.

It also strikes me that if you have a number of rats that you poke a
wire at, some may decide to go for your arm. I've heard that rats these
days aren't that timid. I'd get a pro in, and probably invest in a
pellet gun just in case.

Kind regards,

Saeed

sr_ng 786