Bob G.

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 09:31:00 -0500, "Dan White"
wrote:

I'm looking into Lowes' 20% off sale and want a new drill. The one I have
is a rather weak cordless with the small battery (12v?). I've also lost the
charger, but that's another story. Anyway I want to be able to drill in/out
3" screws into studs, and drill into concrete with a masonry bit. I found
that the 12v drill didn't have the torque to do it. I borrowed a cheap
corded drill the other day and it drove those screws like nothing.

What do you guys recommend? If the price is in the $200's US or lower I
don't care about the money. It looks like the most expensive one is a
Dewalt 18v. Is this going to match up favorably with a corded drill of the
same quality? Will the battery last a long time? I won't be using the
drill often but I wan't one that can do everything a decent corded drill can
do without the cord hassle.

Thanks for any suggestions,

dwhite

===================
I like my Milwaulkee cordless.... 14.4 v.. much better then my sons
DeWalt 18 V drill.... and it seems to be more powerful...but that is
only subjective...

Neither could compare with any of my corded drills for drilling
7/8 inch holes in concrete to install anchors for a pool cover...
even the little 3/8 inch corded drills ran circles around both
Cordless drills ...and pulling out my Dads 1950's era 1/2 inch
drill that I inhereted..made quick work of that job...no contest
between the 3/8 inch corded and that baby...

For general or limited use around the house or shop then
Cordless is just fine. I buy by how the drill feels like in my
hand...

For heavy duty work... the few minutes it takes to grab an extention
cord will save you time and effort in the long haul...

Bob Griffiths