On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 08:03:59 -0000, "Leon Heller"
wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Yesterday I was trying to recount a story I heard years
ago. It was something like... a US company makes an
incredibly small drill, drills a hole in something, sends
it to their Swiss/German counterparts to show it off,
Counterparts send the part back with the hole tapped and
a screw in it.

I remember reading a couple of interesting stories many years ago in a book
about Bugatti cars. Apparently, Ettore Bugatti could fit a shaft accurately
into a round hole completely by eye, using a file. Another story concerned
the front axle used on the little Bugatti racing cars, no-one could work out
how he made them.

Leon

Knowing something about Bugatti, and the way Bugatti automobiles were
designed, I can well believe both stories.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent