Mike Harrison

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:08:05 GMT, "Scott" wrote:

"Mike Harrison" wrote in message
.. .
On 18 Dec 2004 01:01:43 -0800, wrote:

Hello all

I have just had my kitchen drylined and now the cables entering the
backboxes are too short to be easily wired into the socket/light
switches. I'd like to just extend the cables with a chocolate box
connector (I think thats what they're called!)My question is what type
do I need, I see 30AMP big ones and other smaller ones. whats the
smallest connector I can get away with, is it dependent on the ampage
of the connected device?

Cheers

Richy

Personally I'd use either crimp splices or soldered joints, covered with a

couple of layers of
heatshrink. If using crimps it is absolutely essential to use a proper

ratchet crimp tool, not the
cheapo plier types.

I'm a big fan of soldered joints too for this kind of thing, but only where
I know the load is low. It is very hard to really define what power the
soldered joint will be good for.

Soldered joints, like crimps, depend a lot on how well they are done.
A good solder/crimp is pretty much as good as the wire itself.
A bad one is way worse than choc-bloc!