On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:26:44 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Frank Ketchum wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

One would hope that it doesn't fire if the saw is not spinning
(considering
that it has a computer onboard that's really not that hard to implement).

Right, except I don't recall seeing any sort of sensor which monitors
whether the blade is in motion or not. It looks like the only sensors are
the ones which detect a capacative change in the blade (ie, a finger or
hotdog touching it). It would also need to know if the blade is spinning
or
not. This is why I believe the bypass switch is there. I of course am
uncertain which is why I raise the question in the first place.

The purpose of the bypass switch is stated repeatedly in their literature.
They never say anything about using it to change blades.

As to a sensor, I have never seen a photo or illustration that shows enough
detail to be able to tell. They may be assuming that nobody would have his
hands near the blade after he turns off the saw--not necessarily a valid
assumption. But there are other circumstances under which you can get hurt
with a Sawstop-equipped saw so they have clearly made _some_ assumptions
about its use.

Frank

There's a lot more detail in the CPSC filings, if you're willing to
wade through thoses.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent