Alkemyst

Default RCA EGA330s Audio Problem

This message was originally posted over at alt.antiques.radio+phono and
it was suggested it be posted here as well....

I need some help, if I may, with regard to my 1984 RCA TV
(EGA330s). The audio is horrable on it, and has been this way
since i aquired the set about 10 years ago. I saw a post on a site

that made mention to this model and audio problems, but
required I be a liscenced dealer to see the causes. I was
wondering if anyone on here may know why the audio is so bad. The
video is great, but the audio is crackly and distorted and no
amount of fine tuning will fix it. If you need more information i
can provide it. Im not
the kina guy to go out and buy a new TV if the one I got can be
fixed, and cost effectiveness isnt an issue, its the point of
throwing out old electronics over something simple.

i recieved this responce:

i know the model your talking about, i used to have those roll
through my shop on a regular basis, all with the same problem.
the cause is the ratio detecter coil in the audio section has to be

replaced as it is not posible to adjust it. i dont know if the
replacement part is still available, however, you will have to check

with a RCA parts distributor.
--
The Shadow Knows

Does this sound right? Upon his suggestion I have opened the set and
found the following...as posed in the other usenet group:

ok...ive opened the set and had a look. In the actual audio section I

see 2 coils, they both appear to be adjustable (in not usre if you
meant they were non adjustable, or just could no longer be adjusted.)
hey are labeled: Discrim (im assuming thats the one you are talking
about) and the other is labeled 4.5Mhz IN. They have blue and pink
tops on them. I know youre working from memory, so i completely
understand if none of them rings a bell. But if by some chance do you
remember it being one of these two? or is it farther up the stream?
The two coils in question are located on the main chassis board right
behind what appears to be the audio amplifier IC with a copper
heatsink on it.

are either of these coils the one described? If not where should I
look? thanks all for your advice...its very much appreciated!

Keith