Another possible solution than what has been mentioned:

Use a 220/440V motor as the phase converter. Wire for 440, and drive
ONE HALF of the line connected phase. The converter will be working as
a rotary step up, eliminating the need for the seperate transformer. I
have a machine that uses this trick to avoid the need for a step down.
Not all dual voltage motors can be used in this way.

Al MacDonald wrote:
I latched onto an older horizontal mill that runs on 3hp 440V 3ph

power. My
plan is to hook up a 220V rotary phase converter to a 3KVa 3ph

transformer
220/440 and then to the mill. Does anyone see anything obviously

wrong with
my plan? I suppose I could try and find a 220/440 single phase

transformer
and then a 440V single to 3ph rotary converter but I think this way

might be
much more expensive. Thanks, al.