MG

Could use a router with a 1"/4 or 1"/2 bit, whatever your router collet is,
and plunge placing the router face against the wall. Once you got a pilot
hole you have a chance. Whatever!
MG

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
et wrote in message
Crossposted alt.home.repair / rec.woodworking -- mainly because this is
sort of a woodworking question, but the wood is part of my bathroom wall.

I have received a pair of barrel hinges from Rockler. I'm going to try to
use them to hang the new medicine cabinet door on the cabinet I built into
the wall. An earlier post described how the door fits flush against the
face of the cabinet, and barrel hinges seem to be a good solution. So
anyway.

I need to drill a 14mm diameter hole into the edge of the cabinet side to
accept the hinges. The side is 3/4'' MDF. 14mm is 0.551'', which does not
leave a lot of sidewall in 3/4'' material -- about 3/32'' per side. If the
cabinet was NOT in the wall I would put the sides into my drill press so
I'd have a fighting chance of getting the hole straight. But it is in the
plaster wall and trying to do this job by eye and with a hand drill is not
likely to succeed. (This is what happens when I don't plan ahead real
well.)

What kind of hand drill-alignment gadgets are there that can help a fellow
drill square, straight, and level?

If I can run a 14mm diameter, 15.5mm deep hole exactly down the middle of
this 3/4'' -- TWICE! -- I will be a hero in my own home. My wife will
think I am quite the he-man, my kids . . . well, they are teenagers. I
might be able to raise a "whatever," out of them. But I'd be darn pleased.

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
Today's Deep Thought:

I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to
make it shorter.
-- Blaise Pascal