Mike

"Al, Cambridge, UK" wrote in message
oups.com...
10-year-old fridge has finally become too unreliable for food, so a new
fridge/freezer has been bought and works perfectly.
But the brave old fridge begs to soldier on keeping its master and
mistress's essential beer supply at optimum temperature, with almost
Paul Burrelesque devotion.
The motor runs, the heat exchanger on the back gets almost too hot to
touch and the unradiator thing inside gets icy cold. But just when the
beer is cooling nicely, the motor cuts out for long periods. Even with
the knob on maximum (coldest) the temperature tends to stay at an
un-optimum 6 or 8 degrees (although it occasionally goes a bit mad and
whacks down to -1.5).
Since it sounded to me like the thermostat, I bought another one from
www.ezee-fix.co.uk (£15, delivered next morning) and fitted it to get
exactly the same behaviour.
If this is some sort of thermal trip on the motor itself, it seems
strange that it should be able to cut out for 10 minutes or more - that
seems too long a period for a cut-out to be able to work.
Any ideas?
Hotpoint 8112 larder fridge, test equipment is 1 (currently full) case
of Staropramen.

Oh I've got one of them. There is a little vent for water to escape near the
bottom at the back and it is full of crap.