Ed Huntress

"Peter Snell" wrote in message
http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/wire.asp

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Does anyone know the story and is it true?

True, but your facts are a bit off. It was in a magazine a few months

ago
but I forget which one and they mentioned the hole maker's business

names
and all if I remember correctly.

The first company sent off a very small drill to some other company

bragging
about their hole drilling capability being so small, etc. Company #2

sent
the drill back with a hole drilled in it across the diameter of the

shank.

That's much closer to the true story but I'm sure it is missing some

details
or has "static" from my brain added.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

That's about the way I heard it, Pete. The original was 0.003" diameter,
allegedly, and it came back with a hole cross-drilled in it.

Supposedly a true story, from the early 1950s. It was told to me in 1977 by
Andy Ashburn, then Chief Editor of American Machinist. And the company that
cross-drilled the hole, the story went, was Swiss.

Ed Huntress