D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
Duane Bozarth wrote:

[snip!]

I'm looking at an addition to the house for sometime the next couple of
years...it's a frame two-story square farmhouse built 1914-15. Windows
are double hung w/ leaded glass upper lights. Nine narrow vertical
sections w/ overlapping triangles at the top and bottom which make a
2-1/2"-sq diamond pattern across the top and bottom ... anybody able to
do that w/ double glazing? So far, I've not found even a wood window
that is a close enough match although I haven't yet done a custom-made
request. I may learn how to do the leaded glass and end up building
them myself except I can't do double pane. (I have all the shop stuff
needed and am making new ones for the barn now--they weren't painted for
50 years so they didn't last).

You don't need to do a double glazed window. You can use insulated glass,
instead. You will need to have these custom-made, of course. I used
insulated glass in my 1929 English and it looks much more authentic than
a double glazed window. It insulates sound better than a dual pane window,
although it is not as energy efficient. However, I am of the opinion that
energy efficient windows are a little silly anyway since they are after
all windows letting in light and (when open) air. They are never going to
insulate like a wall can and will always be a place where energy is lost.
The one drawback of insulated glass is that it is HEAVY. If your
double-hung windows work with weights like mine do then you will need
a bigger weight and sometimes a bigger weight just won't fit.

Dimitri