J. Clarke

Frank Ketchum wrote:

wrote in message

Thanks for taking the time to post all of this.

First, a block diagram of how SawStop works is at:
http://www.sensorsmag.com/articles/0901/10/main.shtml

From the text :
"It is always on, unless the operator activates a bypass switch to allow
cutting of metal or metal-claż materials."

This answers one of my questions. I wondered how it would allow an
operator to change the blade of the saw without firing the second the
operator
touches the blade. My assumption was that when the power switch is off,
the
sawstop is disabled. I am not sure if this is the case because some
injuries happen after power is turned off and the blade is free wheeling
a stop. So I guess maybe the sawstop is not disabled when the power is
off
and to change a blade you are supposed to activate the bypass switch?
Does it make sense to offer / legislate a safety device with an automatic,
built
in, easy to use bypass? Maybe. Maybe not.

One would hope that it doesn't fire if the saw is not spinning (considering
that it has a computer onboard that's really not that hard to implement).
The bypass switch is for cutting metals and other stuff that triggers the
sawstop. Of course you may not know that something is going to trigger it
until after you've replaced a cartridge.

Frank

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)