Jeff Wisnia

Jim Stewart wrote:

Yesterday I was trying to recount a story I heard years
ago. It was something like... a US company makes an
incredibly small drill, drills a hole in something, sends
it to their Swiss/German counterparts to show it off,
Counterparts send the part back with the hole tapped and
a screw in it.

Does anyone know the story and is it true?

I think we're all going to have to get better eyeglasses to see the
teensy stuff which may be commonplace technology in the near future.

Google around for MEMS, NEMS, nanotechnology or even nanomotor and
you'll find stuff like this to blow your mind with:

http://www.lbl.gov/Tech-Transfer/techs/lbnl1939.html

The first link on that page under "FOR MORE INFORMATION" gets you a
drawing of the motor.

Happy Holidays,

Jeff

--