Cooper

"Duane Bozarth" wrote
I'm looking at an addition to the house for sometime the next couple of
years...it's a frame two-story square farmhouse built 1914-15. Windows
are double hung w/ leaded glass upper lights. Nine narrow vertical
sections w/ overlapping triangles at the top and bottom which make a
2-1/2"-sq diamond pattern across the top and bottom ... anybody able to
do that w/ double glazing? So far, I've not found even a wood window
that is a close enough match although I haven't yet done a custom-made
request. I may learn how to do the leaded glass and end up building
them myself except I can't do double pane. (I have all the shop stuff
needed and am making new ones for the barn now--they weren't painted for
50 years so they didn't last).

\ \ /\ /\ /
\/ / \ /
/ \/ \/ \/ \
| | |
| | |

Something like the above pattern if the angles were 45-deg...that won't
look at all like anything unless you have a fixed font, of course...the
really neat thing about the current windows is that none of them have
been broken so they still have the original glass w/ the occasional
imperfections, etc....some of the lower panes have been broken because
the eave overhang is enough to keep them protected from really strong
wind-driven hail.

I'm sure you're looking at custom glass for what you want. Someone
somewhere will do it, for a price. OTOH, if you could do your own glass. It
would be worth a few phone calls to glass shops, and inquire about you
supplying the glass, if they would make double pane units for you.
Good Luck on that one, sounds like an interesting project.