willshak

On 12/17/2004 2:21 PM US(ET), spotty took fingers to keys, and typed the =

following:

It does if you head bumps into it - with 5 1/2 to 6 ft ceiling - this
is highly likely as I already have to bend slightly to avoid hitting my
head on the joists.

With regard the paper being a combustable etc. the fact that its
wooden floorboard and joist about - are these not combustable as well.
=20

Yes, but one is more combustible than the other. Hold a lit match up to=20
a joist, and drop another on a pile of shredded paper. Guess which=20
material would burn more easily (other than the fingers holding the match=
).

I'm just looking at trying to find reasons why putting bats in
reverse and stapling the paper up to the joists would be a bad
move.....
=20

I've had my basement ceiling bats stapled up with the barrier facing=20
down for 20 years.
My basement is finished though, and the boiler and water heater are down =

there.
My basement temperature runs between 65=BA (winter) and 75=BA (summer)=20
without any additional heat other than the ambient heat from the boiler=20
and water heater, so which side is the warm side?

Art wrote:
=20

Vapor barrier goes up to warm side. Don't worry about pieces of
=20

exposed
=20

fiberglass falling down into your basement. Doesn't happen.

"spotty" wrote in message
roups.com...
=20

I've seen a couple of questions relating to this but not one that
really answers my question.

I have a 105 year old house - stone foundations and basement which
=20

has
=20

a 5 1/5 ft - 6ft ceiling so really never going to be finished out.

The basement contains our furnace and a hot water heater and the
=20

rest
=20

is pretty well just used for storage. The floor above is simply
hardwood floors - pretty old stuff which small gaps etc. that you
=20

can
=20

see down to the basement. The house seems to cool down very
=20

quickly
=20

when the heat goes off and the floor remains fairly cool to the
=20

touch
=20

making the downstairs rather unappealing in the winter.

I suspect insulating the ceiling in the basement will help slow
=20

down
=20

the loss of heat in the room a bit - the basement is closed off to
=20

the
=20

direct outside - no open vents or anything like that.

If I want to use fibreglass insulation on the ceiling between the
=20

joist
=20

s - do I really need to put a vapor barrier in and if I do I do not
want to have fibreglass exposed.

I suppose what I'm saying is if I get faced fibreglass batts and
=20

put
=20

them in so paper side is out rather than against the floor - it
=20

will
=20

conceal the fibreglass. But it would mean that the paper which I
think is a vapor barrier is on the wrong side.

As the furnace is down there it provides a degree of residual heat
=20

-and
=20

have not noticed condensation forming down there last winter.
Is this a good idea ?

=20

=20