Cooper

"D. Gerasimatos" wrote

I disagree with this. At some point the material is going to discolor,
simply because dyes don't last forever. The color will fade. With a wooden
window, you just paint it and it is like new. With a vinyl window you
are stuck replacing it. Lots of people consider the fact that you don't
have to paint vinyl to be a plus, but it's actually a drawback. What if
you change the color scheme of your house, for instance?

You can disagree all you like, virgin vinyl has already been proven. There
is no fading with the exception of dark brown in virgin vinyl. As I said
about familiarizing yourself with todays products and technologies. You're
never stuck with a product. I've seen faux finishes that fooled my trained
eye, surely you have at least heard about faux finishes. They can be
applied to _any_ surface. Maintenance free is what vinyl is all about.

Well, we definitely know the track record with wooden windows. There are
very old buildings that still have the original timber intact. I will be
shocked if your vinyl windows look good in 150 years, but if they do then
they are still no better than wood.

I seriously doubt anyone buys a home believing they will live in it for 150
years. Or any material item for that matter. The point is pretty much
moot.

What would be a 'quality laminated vinyl window'? Milgard? Champion?

I provided links to two of the best products on the market.

The previous owner's windows are doing fine, but they are *VINYL*. Who is
a good manufacturer of vinyl windows that can do true divided lights with
insulated glass? I have never seen such a beast. Neither will you find
a vinyl window that you can stain.

The mullions on vinyl are in between the panes. This makes cleaning a
breeze. I don't believe even my mother if she were alive would say one good
thing about divided panes, except that they were a pain.

About the staining, as I said above. Faux finishes. I've seen steel doors
that I swore were wood. I've seen concrete that I swore was marble. I've
seen vinyl patio doors that I swore was wood. I don't mean to be insulting,
but you really need to get out.