Duane Bozarth

Cooper wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote

Depends on how it's finished--don't see much grain on a Steinway grand,
for example.

But, in general, I get your drift...and concur wrt vinyl--in areas w/
high UV exposure even expensive vinyl tends to break down. On a related
topic, some of the very expensive vinyl fences in town have sagged and
discolored so badly in only about 10 years they're being taken down.

Expensive, BUT no doubt was recycled products. Virgin vinyl will not
discolor. Thickness & cavities plays a huge part on strength. This is what
the consumer must be aware of.

But what's the sense in paying as much (or even more) than wood for a
product that doesn't do that much better? Painting a good quality wood
will keep it functional and look better besides (the vinyl products
look like vinyl--edges aren't crisp, slats are wide...)

I'm wondering where're you're located...in milder climates, a lot of
things last better than here in the arid southwest with strong sun, high
winds, temperature extremes...

Repainting is more frequent here than where I lived in TN/VA, too...
but at least it can be repainted