D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
Cooper wrote:

Discoloration occurs with recycled vinyl, not virgin vinyl. Virgin vinyl
will not crack like recycled vinyl. There is a huge difference between the
two. Many vinyl windows are made with recycled products, this is what gives
someone with limited experience or knowledge, the impression that they are
junk.

I disagree with this. At some point the material is going to discolor,
simply because dyes don't last forever. The color will fade. With a wooden
window, you just paint it and it is like new. With a vinyl window you
are stuck replacing it. Lots of people consider the fact that you don't
have to paint vinyl to be a plus, but it's actually a drawback. What if
you change the color scheme of your house, for instance?

You can think whatever you want on how long they will last. The fact is,
both links I posted, the vinyl is guaranteed for life and both the windows
are transferable to new ownership. You will _not_ find that guarantee on a
wood window. I've installed literally thousands of both wood and vinyl
windows.

Well, we definitely know the track record with wooden windows. There are
very old buildings that still have the original timber intact. I will be
shocked if your vinyl windows look good in 150 years, but if they do then
they are still no better than wood.

You are wrong on the appearance, I can tell you _never_ had the opportunity
to examine a quality laminated vinyl next to a wood window.

What would be a 'quality laminated vinyl window'? Milgard? Champion?

You would do yourself a world of good to explore all the possibilites of
todays products instead of just what's in your own home. I don't blame you
for being sour, especially if the previous owner had some garbage windows
installed.

The previous owner's windows are doing fine, but they are *VINYL*. Who is
a good manufacturer of vinyl windows that can do true divided lights with
insulated glass? I have never seen such a beast. Neither will you find
a vinyl window that you can stain.

Dimitri