Jim Yanik

"dadiOH" wrote in :

Squanklin wrote:
Yesterday I asked about jig saws - today I'd like some feedback about
routers, please. What to look for, etc. Considering this will be my
first router (and I'm not sure all the ways I'll use it), will I be
served ok with a moderately priced one for a couple of years until I
really know what I want? Then, I would go for the better, more
expensive models.

Most any router from Porter Cable, Bosch, Milwaukee, Makita, DeWalt
would serve you well.

Definitely one that has a 1/2" collet, 1/4" too is nice. Probably 1
1/2 - 2 HP since you want a moderate price. That HP is entirely
adequate for just about any non-table task.

Your real decision will be fixed base vs plunge. If I were buying a
first router AND if I intended to buy an additional one later I'd get a
fixed base. Mine was and I used it exclusively for 20 years before
getting a plunge router. The advantages of fixed base routers are that
they are generally smaller/lighter and have a lower center of gravity.
You can even plunge with them if you know how and are careful.

You can get 1.5 HP models with BOTH fixed and plunge bases;PC 690 series is
one that comes to mind.

IIRC,there was a router eval article in Wood magazine recently.
Visit your local library and check the back issues of woodworking mags,most
of them do tool evals.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net