Tim Douglass

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:52:14 -0800, "ted harris"
wrote:

In news:Tim Douglass typed:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:13:26 -0800, "ted harris"
wrote:
all I know is, I will have this system on any
machinery in my shop that it can be put on, when it becomes available.

And that says a lot about your confidence in your abilities and your
personal cost/benefit ratios - but it really means nothing to some of
us. I've been running power equipment for 30 years or so - since I was
really too young to be doing it. I have developed a great deal of
respect for the tools and make every effort to work in a way that
allows me to stay clear of the sharp parts.

Everyone else in this conversation has chosen not to make this a personal
issue about each others woodworking skills, except you...

I said nothing about your woodworking skills, thank you. I didn't
express my thought well, but what I said was that based on what you
perceive the risks and benefits of SawStop to be, you consider it a
worthwhile purchase.

My confidence level is just fine, thank you. Woodworking is what I do for a
living. To my knowledge, there is no one else here that does what I do.
There are less than 200 people in the world that chose my profession. I
have never cut myself on a saw, or any machine while utilizing a rotational
cutting blade...I have been doing it for 13 years as a living...and I mean
full time...prolly average 60 or more hours a week...but that does not mean
that accidents can't happen. We are, only human after all.

Again, I'm not making a point about skill levels, merely trying to
establish that I have sufficient experience running a table saw to
have reason to trust my techniques and safety practices. As a
professional you probably run a TS as much in a day as I do in a
month, maybe even more than that. Consider how that affects your
perception of SawStop. If I were running a shop I might consider it as
well - although only after it had established a solid track record in
the market - I just don't care for being an unpaid beta tester.

Point is that I will apply a lot of personal controls to reduce the
risk of a major injury rather than pay the premium on a system that
can turn a 2 cent bandage injury into a $150 repair bill on the saw.

It's a calculated risk - but it *is* a *calculated* risk.

Tim Douglass

A two cent bandage injury is what you get when you have sawstop.

P.S. Just my two cents...

I think you still miss my point. SawStop can turn a major injury into
an insignificant one, but it can also turn a minor injury into a major
expense. Minor injuries are, I suspect (but can't prove), much more
common than major ones, therefore SS will normally be a net financial
cost to the owner rather than saving thousands in e-room costs etc.
The issue of pain and trauma is left up to the personal opinions of
the operators.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com