william_b_noble

no opinion about the belts - sounds like the motor and lathe are not
related. But, look around at VFDs - I bought a refurbished Delta (not the
tool company, rahter delta electronics) for $200 from a distributor - and I
have a used Minarik vector drive that I could sell for $150 - and of course
I'm making money on it - similarly, 3 phase motors are pretty cheap - a 2
hp motor shouldn't cost you over $35 or so in great condition.

"Frank" wrote in message
william_b_noble wrote:
leave the 4 HP motor in place. Program your VFD to treat it as a 2 HP.
That way, if you want a larger motor, you just reprogram the VFD. If it
came with a 4 HP motor, I'd assume the belts, etc, can carry the HP and

not
slip.

It came with a strange pulley system. One small pulley on the spindle
and three larger ones on the motor side and no belt. Minimum RPM
is probably somwhere around 2000. So I have to change the pulley
system in any case.

I've thought about getting a Yaskawa VS Mini J7 inverter. That is a
scalar drive (vector drives a probably too expensive). Would I have
enough of torque at all RPMs if I had a 2-pulley system with ratios
of 1:3 (or 1:2?) and 1:1?

It seems that the J7 cannot handle the 4 hp motor.

Frank