Roger Shoaf

As others have suggested an engineer is probably worth his consulting fee,
but my guess is that the joists probably have too much span and are flexing.
I suspect the fix is going to be to add an additional beam midway between
your existing beams and jack that up.

You might also have a problem with the condition of the joists themselves.
Inspect carefully the intersection of the joists and the beam you jacked up.
If the joists are cracked where they were mortised into the center beam this
would explain your results.

I suspect if these are damaged, it was probably from the trip down rather
than being jacked up.

You might also find a place where you can cut an inspection hole in the
floor to inspect from the top down.

Be sure to post and let us know what the problem was and how you fixed it.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"Jeff C" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently bought at 100 year-old Cape-style house. The floors were
sagging and the culprit appeared to be the center beam, which was being
supported by 3 6x6 posts that had rotted from the bottom up over the
years. The worst sagging was probably about 2".

I've jacked up the beam and re-supported it with adjustable jack-posts
and all seems well except that the joists don't seem to have moved with
the beam. In other words, the beam is far more level and the floor
directly above the beam is just as level, but the floors simply have a
"speed bump" shape in them where the beam is supporting them but they
quickly sag off to either side of the beam.

The joists appear to be in good condition, though they're certainly
original and they are supported both by being mortised into the beam
and additionally by bulky (1/4" thick?) 90-degree angle braces. I'm
trying to figure out why the beam moved but the joists apparently did
not.

N.B. - I did jack the beam up relatively quickly. Over the course of
maybe a month. Could that have something to do with it?
Help appreciated, thanks.

JPC