D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
Cooper wrote:

Having been in the trades for almost 30 yrs. b/4 I retired. I had/have
access to almost any product. I put vinyl windows in my own home, one year
after first installing them. I would put them in again in a heartbeat.

I have no idea why you would say they're tacky, except that you never seen a
laminated vinyl window. From the outside, they look better than the wooden
windows which are vinyl/aluminum capped from the
factory, PLUS you don't have the problem of water infiltration to the wood.
On the inside, you don't get water spots from _sweating_ during the cold
weather as you do on wood. I like the vinyl to clean over the wood,
interior & exterior.

You don't have to worry about vinyl swelling as you do wood. Vinyl will not
rot as wood.

Vinyl has its own set of problems like discoloration. I do not think a
vinyl window will last as long as a good wooden window, which can last
for almost forever. As to whether they are tacky, that is my personal
opinion and I will never, ever install a vinyl window. I am working hard
to remove the vinyl windows the previous owners 'upgraded' to. Also, to
stay on topic, if this guy wants the appearance of stained wood then the best
way to accomplish that is with stained wood. No vinyl window will give the
appearance of oak or mahogany or whatever this guy is trying to achieve.

Dimitri