Jerry G.

Did you ever try to remove the anode cap from a CRT on a set that has been
sitting for a week, and you didn't discharge it? There are some models that
are designed to slowly discharge on their own, but not all of them. If not,
try it, and let me know how you feel after!

After several months, I have been zapped from anode caps. This is because
the source DC resistance is extremely high in some of these sets.

As for the power supply, after about 2 to 3 days, I would say it will be
safe, because there are other components connected to the caps, and they
have resistive characteristics. Some of the manufactures have a bleeder
resistor built in for the main filter caps. But, I would not trust this
without first checking this out.

In theory, a good cap can hold the charge for a long time. I have charged up
caps to several hundred volts, and the next day when I checked them with my
DVM, there was still too much for comfort.

Considering the natural leakage in the caps of any device, after about a
week or so, they should normally be discharged. When I work on anything that
uses voltages in excess of about 50 Volts, I check with a DVM first before
my hands go in to it. If I have to, I find a way to discharge the voltage
that is present, or I work in a fashion where I don't have to be directly
handling the components at their leads.

Normally when I work on these sets, I check to see if the caps are charged.
If so, I have a 20 Watt 220 ohm resistor with a set of leads that I put
across the main caps for a few seconds to discharge them. I am concerned
about the main electrolytic caps that are holding at least a few hundred
volts.

In many of the switching supplies, depending on the design, they self
discharge across the other resistive components anyways. I found that after
about a few minutes or so, they are very safe to handle.

The best way to work is with caution.

--

Jerry G.
======

"RonKZ650" wrote in message
To be perfectly honest, sitting overnight is ample time to discharge 99.999%
of
caps or CRTs. I'd say 4 years you're relatively safe.
Ron