Squanklin wrote:
Yesterday I asked about jig saws - today I'd like some feedback about
routers, please. What to look for, etc. Considering this will be my
first router (and I'm not sure all the ways I'll use it), will I be
served ok with a moderately priced one for a couple of years until I
really know what I want? Then, I would go for the better, more
expensive models.

Decide on whether you need to use it in a table, or just free hand.
Routers also come in the plunge or no plunge variety. Plunge routers
allow you to raise the bit above the work, start the motor, then plunge
it down at any spot in the piece (there's a stop that you set to
control the depth). If you were to cut a dado in a piece that didn't
go through to the end of the board, you would need a plunge router.

HP is of course important. If you're going to raise some panels using
a large panel bit, you'll need a bigger machine than say 1 hp. If
you're just going to use a 1/4" round over, 1HP would be plenty.

Go to eopinions.com to get reviews on specific products. You might
also want to visit rec.woodworking