Art Ransom

Default Clamping presure

How much clamping pressure is too much?
I have created starved joints ( not enough glue to hold properly) with
Gorilla glue when clamping segmented rings but to my knowledge that is the
only time I have made starved joints. The laminated beams I use in some of
my project are clamped with 30,000 lbs pressure, though the manufacture
doesn't say if that is PSI or total clamping pressure.
This has become a concern since I have been turning 8' columns. My normal
procedure is to cut the stave 1/4" over size and let the stock set for
several days for the internal stresses to stop warping the wood. I then cut
and mill the staves to final size. Milling the bird mouth joint , final
sizing and normal wood movement will at times result in considerable warping
in the 8' staves and when working with 8/4 stock a lot of clamping pressure
is needed to get properly fitting joints.

www.turningaround.org