dadiOH

Squanklin wrote:
Yesterday I asked about jig saws - today I'd like some feedback about
routers, please. What to look for, etc. Considering this will be my
first router (and I'm not sure all the ways I'll use it), will I be
served ok with a moderately priced one for a couple of years until I
really know what I want? Then, I would go for the better, more
expensive models.

Most any router from Porter Cable, Bosch, Milwaukee, Makita, DeWalt
would serve you well.

Definitely one that has a 1/2" collet, 1/4" too is nice. Probably 1
1/2 - 2 HP since you want a moderate price. That HP is entirely
adequate for just about any non-table task.

Your real decision will be fixed base vs plunge. If I were buying a
first router AND if I intended to buy an additional one later I'd get a
fixed base. Mine was and I used it exclusively for 20 years before
getting a plunge router. The advantages of fixed base routers are that
they are generally smaller/lighter and have a lower center of gravity.
You can even plunge with them if you know how and are careful.

One that I particularly like is the Dewalt #610. I don't have it but I
do have its father - the Black & Decker Industrial (only 7/8 HP, no 1/2
collet but I've been using it for close to 40 years). One thing I
particularly like in both is the rack & pinion height adjustment;
another is the toggle switch. The motor of either will fit in Porter
Cable's accessory plunge base...a relatively inexpensive way to have
both varieties.

The Dewalt 610 costs about $150.

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Tools-P...Fixed-DeWalt-D
ewalt_Dw610___Dw612_Heavy-Duty_1-1_2_Hp_Router/display_~reviews

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...