Peter Kolbe

Lets hope nobody decided to plug the set in without you knowing!

"Art" wrote in message
Actually after that period of time you probably will not have any problem
disassembling the set.
Be advised that the tubes are high vacuum devices and can implode if

handled improperly. Use extreme care in disposing and handling of these
particular items. BTW it may be necessary to have them properly disposed
of
because or environmental laws in effect there in Canada. You may need to
contact your local DPW department and ask the about correct manner as to
resolving that problem.
I personally just go in with a set of dikes and cut the cables, inclusive

of the HV leads to the crts and have at it when trashing one of these.
You
can always have a service company come out and remove the guts from the
unit
but they will charge for a service call and labour to do so.
Something to comtemplate over a bottle of Labats Blue, Eh!! Or even an

imported Fosters; Cheers Gov, hopefully you get this resolved.
"Steve" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:12:46 +0000, Ross Herbert wrote:

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 02:05:03 -0400, "Tim Perry"
wrote:

|"Steve" wrote in message
|news | Hello,
|
| I have an old rear projection television that I would like to take
| apart and use the frame for another project. The television has not
| been plugged in since the year 2000. Do I still need to discharge
| capacitors even though it hasn't seen AC in 4 years?
|
|YES

And here I was thinking this was a troll......

Tell me, how can any charge storage device (capacitor) or aquadag
coating on a tube retain a charge when not having been powered up for
4 years? Must be some magic new dielectric I haven't heard about, or
the air is awfully dry.

Personally, I wouldn't bother about charged capacitors causing
problems after a week of not having been powered up, but I would still
short the aquadag coating on the tube just to be sure. After 2 weeks I
wouldn't even bother about that.

| Could anyone
| tell me how long it would take on average for the caps to discharge
| by themselves?
|
|it dosent matter assume they are charged just as you should assume a

gun is
|loaded when you handel it.
|

| Thanks in advance.
|

|never trust a bleeder resistor... it could be open

If you were referring to me as a troll, I really hope I didn't come
across as that way. I was looking for serious advice.