J. Clarke

ted harris wrote:

In typed:
ok, ted, your fingers are worth more than a couple hundred bucks.
granted.

what isn't known is the rate of false positives. that information
*cannot* be known until the machine has been in use in actual workshop
use for some time.

how many times would you pay $180 for a cartridge and blade before you
started thinking about either replacing the saw or just disabling the
thing. a cabinet saw costs about $2000. that's about 11 false
positives. if it does it once a month it's costing you something like
4 new saws a year.

If I was worried about false alarms, I would like to find out what testing
has been done to prove that it will not misfire. I am quite positive that
there are saws somewhere that have been in real woodshops being used in
real working conditions since the day it was invented,

Where did he get the saws? It can't be retrofitted, after all, so he
couldn't have modified an existing saw. So he must have had one designed
and hand built "on the day it was invented".

not to mention
possibly
even some testing center that was hired to test it.

So where's the test report?

Basically, I am
saying that befoe I pursued purchasing the machine I would like to see
evidence of testing, or some sort of proof that misfires are some very
small percentage
or even not possible. I would pay it at least once, and then I would have
to figure out whether or not I actually touched the blade, before I
pursued
other avenues. If I did not touch the blade, I would be on the phone
talking to Steve Gass. I am quite sure that he is a reasonable man, and
could be convinced one way, cannot be the only way.

Huh? What are you expecting him to do about it? Redesign the whole system
because you don't like the way it works? Give everybody who bought one
their money back? Free cartridges for the rest of your life?

The reason I know
this
is because of his invention of the very system we are debating. The
system would not even exist if he thought that the possiblity for
something that seemed impossible was in fact possible.

I don't think it ever "seemed impossible". Just that most people were
looking for an American-style fix and he found a Japanese-style fix.

how many times HAVE you cut off your fingers on your table saw,
anyway?

Never, but I have touched an alternating tip blade while it was running
and not even received a scratch from it.

You would have paid the price of a cartridge for that if it had a Sawstop.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)