On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:57:03 -0800, "ted harris"
wrote:

In news:J typed:

Do you think it was six years before they shipped anything? Hardly.

-j

Okay, but Grizzly did not spen several years developing anything either, nor
did they spend several years to market their product to manufacturers. And
I believe that Grizzly had its finances in order. And Grizzly was not going
against the "powers that be!" And, by the way the website looks to me,
sawstops original intent was not to make machiery, only the sawstop. It
also looks like the only way that the inventor could bring this to market
was enter into the machinery design and distribution business. Not really
an easy task for a guy that already has acareer and has a family, huh?
Sounds to me like sawstop worked their ass off to get to this point. I find
it to be an inspiring chase for the American Dream.

I'm glad you're inspired, but ask yourself this question: Why did
SawStop choose to announce it was manufacturing its own saws months --
at least -- before they would start shippng?

This is unusual behavior in the woodworking industry to say the least.
Most products are announced at trade shows about the time they are
available for order by retailers and that's usually within 90 days of
shipping the first units.

One explanation for this behavior is that it is a common method of
sucking investors into a project. Sometimes that's a legitimate, if
risky, strategy. Sometimes it's the mark of a smoke-and-mirrors
artist.

You might want to stop romanticizing these guys and apply some of the
same skepticism to them you like to show to the 'powers that be.'

The more I look at this the more questions I have.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent