Tim Douglass

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:13:26 -0800, "ted harris"
wrote:

In newsoug Miller typed:
It's somewhat less clear that any
government-mandated safety device is a better means of preserving their
digits
than simple responsible safety practices.

Please understand that I am not involved at all in the political side of
this argument. I personally could care less whether or not the government
makes it required or not...all I know is, I will have this system on any
machinery in my shop that it can be put on, when it becomes available.

And that says a lot about your confidence in your abilities and your
personal cost/benefit ratios - but it really means nothing to some of
us. I've been running power equipment for 30 years or so - since I was
really too young to be doing it. I have developed a great deal of
respect for the tools and make every effort to work in a way that
allows me to stay clear of the sharp parts. I will probably not
purchase a saw with this kind of device because the cost of even a
minor contact is currently high enough to put me out of the shop for
weeks or months until I could afford the new cartridge and blade. As I
have said elsewhere, I suspect that the vast majority of table saw
injuries don't involve amputation or even a trip to the emergency
room. I have witnessed two TS accidents, both direct result of
careless behavior around the saw, both were pretty good cuts, but
neither even required stitches, simply a good bandage. One friend of
mine did cut his thumb, index finger and half the next one off. That
was one of those accidents that involved running the saw when tired
and in a hurry. He probably would have appreciated SawStop at that
moment!

Point is that I will apply a lot of personal controls to reduce the
risk of a major injury rather than pay the premium on a system that
can turn a 2 cent bandage injury into a $150 repair bill on the saw.

It's a calculated risk - but it *is* a *calculated* risk.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com