Mike Henry

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
Mike Henry wrote:

snip

KO Lee tells me that this motor (GE K163) is the one that they installed
on
surface grinders (although they now specify 2 HP instead of the 1 HP on
mine), that they do not specify any special sort of balancing and that the
(2) belts should be adjusted so that there is about 1/8" "give" when
pressed
from the side. The tension was a lot less in my tests the other night so
I'll play with the tension a bit to see how that affects things.

snip
Well ... at least you now know what the tension should be for
your machine. Are those flat belts, V-belts, or something else, like
perhaps poly-V belts? It sounds like V-belts just offhand.

I'm not sure what to call them - they look like a truncated V in cross
section and the periphery is serrated. There are two individual belts so I
guess that they are V-belts. A brief Google search indicates that Poly-V
belts are like two or more V-belts joined along there edges into a single
belt. Is that right?

While checking the belts I noticed that there is some light rust on both the
motor and spindle pulley grooves. That's probably not good for a grinder.
I wonder if cleaning them up with some fine steel wool or a 3M abrasive pad
would help or hurt?

Mike