RonB

"jeff" wrote in message
Generally, isn't this type of finishing done with spray equipment, though?
I think that most of this is done with some kind of tinted lacquer, and
the
color does not come so much from the wood being dyed or pigmented as from
the topcoat.

Absolutely. This was not, by any stretch, a fine finish but it was
attractive for its use - a multi use office and conference center. It was
pretty much what is used in a lot of residential construction and that
process is not indended to be beautiful - just attracive and quick.

The biggest mistake I made when we built our house was not knowing about
these 3-step production laquer finishes (sprayed stain, sealer, finish). It
sounds impressive but basically it allows a good gun guy and a couple of
high-school drop outs to finish a 2,000 square foot house in two days (while
they are doing another down the street, during dry times).