Mary Fisher

"John Rumm" wrote in message
news:41c2163e$0$78022$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-
http://mcs.open.ac.uk/safecomputing

How do I know that it's safe to open this?

I'm serious, not being flippant.

Good question!

In this case the answer is "because you trust the person giving the
advice".

Hmm. I might have been groomed just for this ...

However normally it would be because you were using a web browser unlikely
to be vulnerable to web based exploits, your virus scanner will be
running, it's signature files up to date.

I assume it is.

So to your firewall. You will have installed the Sun JVM as a replacement
for the Microsoft one and made it the default.

I don't use the MS one.

If you still have doubts, type the URL into google and see if there are
discussions raging about it.

That's a good idea, actually, thanks!

Don't be an early adopter, wait for a couple of others to post responses
to what they have read. If they are not complaining about an itchy feeling
in their bin directory, chances are you will be ok as well!

:-)

I'm going to bed. I'll look tomorrow!

Mary