John Rumm

Mary Fisher wrote:

"raden" wrote in message

And can I suggest that people at least take a look at

http://mcs.open.ac.uk/safecomputing

How do I know that it's safe to open this?

I'm serious, not being flippant.

Good question!

In this case the answer is "because you trust the person giving the
advice".

However normally it would be because you were using a web browser
unlikely to be vulnerable to web based exploits, your virus scanner will
be running, it's signature files up to date. So to your firewall. You
will have installed the Sun JVM as a replacement for the Microsoft one
and made it the default.

However if you are visiting a site you are unsure about you will have
turned off both Java and Javascript, at least initially.

If you still have doubts, type the URL into google and see if there are
discussions raging about it.

Don't be an early adopter, wait for a couple of others to post responses
to what they have read. If they are not complaining about an itchy
feeling in their bin directory, chances are you will be ok as well!

--
Cheers,

John.