indago

041216 1937 - TURTLE posted:

"Norminn" wrote in message
clipped

Now there is one type of termite that has hit the U.S.A. now days and
started
in Florida and has been seen as far as Louisiana and they are Non-Ground
type
termites and never have to go to the ground everyday to go back to the nest.

Three major types of termites live here - dry-wood, damp-wood, and
subterranean. Many varieties within each group, and different varieties in
different areas of the country. Dry wood and subterranean have very
different
methods of control. All have swarmers, which are mating couples flying off
establish new colonies. Subs do the most structural damage in Florida, and
the infamous Formosans in New Orleans are a type of sub. Dry wood terms
don't
need to leave the wood to get moisture. Subs build mud tubes to get from
colony in ground into your wood; they also like entries like openings for
pipes and the inside of crawlspaces. Anyone with wood parts on their house
should be familiar with the methods of detection and prevention. We have
annual inspections, but I've never had a termite inspector ask to open the
plumbing access panel to look. I do that myself.

Our condo has had neglected areas, including an exterior panel that had
sprinklers blasting it for years. Big hole. Rotted 2x4's. Section of 1x12
with nothing left of it but the paint. Very interesting clue: they do not
eat
paint.

This is Turtle.

What is the name of the termite that lives in the attic and does not have to
go
the ground to get a drink of water ? My bug man was suppose to get with me to
give me the name but he can't pronounce it and did not have his books to look
it
up and forgot to call me back.

TURTLE

I think his name is Mergatroyd...