Tony Hwang

MLD wrote:
"KenM" wrote in message

I'm going to re-do our shower, using tile. It has an acrylic shower base
which I want to replace.

Should I go with acrylic again, or do tile? What are issues regarding
durability, lifetime, leaks, ease of keeping clean?

For acrylic, I've found info on Jucuzzi and American Standard. Can you
recommend one of these, or another?

Judging by the instructions I've pulled of the web, installation of

acrylic

looks pretty straightforward. Any useful tips?

I've done a half-dozen floor/backsplash tile projects, so I'm pretty
comfortable with doing the shower walls. But a tile base is another

story.

Looking in a tile book, it doesn't seem too difficult. Is this something
that takes some experience to get right, or could I reasonably expect to

get

it right the first time? This is on a second floor, so I definitely don't
want leaks to be a problem.

The book I looked at said to use a heavy plastic liner. I know in the old
days they used a lead liner. What's the current thinking in that area?

Any

other tips for installing a tile base?

Thanks for your help.

Ken

To me, tile base means grout joints--the smaller the tile the more of them.
They need maintenance, get dirty and might eventually leak. I had a
terrazzo base that lasted 30+ years; got an acrylic shower now and it's so
much easier to maintain.
MLD

Hi,
If the base is solid. My shower is 10+ years old with acrylic with tile
wall with latex grout. Still in like new condition. It's upstairs.
Tony