Mike

"Tony Hogarty" wrote in message
newsan.2004.12.16.07.35.47.483354@tjhpropertygar bage.co.uk...
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 06:41:45 +0000, Mike wrote:

I'm sure every other product mentioned here has ten times as many

security
holes. But with so many fewer users, and those that do often have other
security measures in place, it is not worth the idiots who write these
viruses and so on handling them.

No this isn't the case at all. There are alternative OS's around that
were designed from the ground up to be secure and consequently the
programs written for them are so much more secure.

I'm afraid that isn't the case. Source codes for Linux and Unix are
available allowing many more holes to be identified. MS's mistake was
assuming just because source code wasn't published, peiple wouldn't find the
inevitable security holes in their product.

Similarly the Java system was designed to be secure yet most parts have been
cracked wide open.