Peter Ashby

Default Glass and Wood suppliers

In article ,
"Doki" wrote:

I'd sooner have some variety of real wood rather than MDF. Would holding
everything together with screws and glue be a bit beyond the pale? If so,
would dowels work?

Screws and glue do work with mdf though you MUST predrill the edge of
the mdf to be screwed into by the correct diameter drill or the mdf will
split for sure. The hardest part here of course is lining everything up
so the two sets of holes are in the right places, especially in the
middle of the edges. Making a jig can help with this of course, simply a
piece of wood with spaced holes in ita defined distance from one edge
(half the thickness). Use lots of glue on the edges as the edge of cut
mdf is very thirsty stuff.

I built a shelving unit for a built in wardrobe this way 3 years ago
and it is all holding up very solidly.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.