Tim Wescott

Grant Erwin wrote:

I've owned a couple of those portabands but got rid of the last one
years ago. I recently was at an estate sale and picked one up so
cheap I couldn't pass on it.

Coincidentally, yesterday a woman offered me a bunch of angle iron but
said it was welded into stuff too unwieldy to move in my vehicle. I
got to thinking yet again, surely there must be some way to power
this saw from my car. I could get an inverter, but I rather suspect
that the motor on this is a universally wound DC motor. Is there a
way to directly run it from battery power?

GWE

You'd still need 120V DC -- to get that from your car you'd need an
inverter. The DC inverter would be way more expensive than an AC
inverter because nobody makes 120V DC inverters in massive volumes in China.

You could also consider a generator -- it may be more practical at the
expected current usage of your saw.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services