bigboard

Chris Cowley wrote:

I've just had a new back door fitted, and the glass panels at the top of
the door have been padded out with about a 10mm thickness of filler as
the door seems designed to take thicker glass than what has been
supplied with it (which is supposedly 4mm, but it looks much thinner to
me). Consequently, the beading has been bent out from the glass so that
it meets with the moulded door frame properly.

A picture speaks a thousand words:
http://freestuff.grok.co.uk/door/DSCF0009.JPG
http://freestuff.grok.co.uk/door/DSCF0002.JPG
http://freestuff.grok.co.uk/door/DSCF0003.JPG

I think it looks shoddy and is potentially insecure. When I phoned to
complain I got "they all do that, sir" type noises and they told me to
push the beading in to force it against the glass (impossible without
first removing it and cutting it down, but there you go).

I am being a pedantic git or am I right to be thoroughly disappointed
and what I see as shoddy workmanship. Are the restrictions on the
thickness of glass that should be installed in external doors? I don't
buy doors very often, and am no expert so opinions would be most
appreciated.

Why is it that 9 times out of 10, "getting the professionals in" always
results in disappointment.

Looks extremely shoddy to me. Maybe the door was designed to take
double-glazed glass? It looks like a complete bodge from the photos.

--
If at first you don't succeed, give up, no use being a damn fool.