GregP

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:07:05 -0500, Allen Epps
wrote:

As someone mentioned it might be a hard sell for the hobbiest. But
think about the pro shop getting an insurance discount for an "Sawstop"
shop. There might be an economic incentive to migrate the tools.

That may well be true.

Much is being read into the fact that Sawstop has not shipped
any machines yet. There are some pretty straightforward issues
here, tho, that have nothing to do with the safety gizmo and all
to do with it being a brand new company in this business. I wonder
how long it took Grizzly to release its first product from the day it
formed itself ? That's one aspect. Another is the fear by potential
customers that they will end up with an orphan saw: how many of
us would buy the first product from a brand-new company that, like
all brand-new companies, has a high probability of failure ? And
in addition to its stupid attempt to assure success by regulation,
though one that has a long tradition in the US, it will also be hurt
by the knee-jerk reaction to a product whose primary "selling point"
is an attempt to reduce injury. I don't think that the name helps
it much either: are they selling a saw or an add-on ? The
implication of the name is that the saw itself is secondary and
perhaps did not receive the attention that the device did.
But still, I hope they succeed, and if they're around for a few
years I will most likely buy one.